Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Call

Two Years ago today,
my mom came down to my room and told 
me that Grandpa Allred 
had just past away from 
pancreatic cancer.


There is a song by Regina Spektor
that I just absolutely love called
"The Call"
began playing on my ipod
which invited so many memories
of my grandpa
to overflow my mind.

And really,
I just cant say it any better than the song itself,
so here it is:

"It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry
I'll come back when you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing

Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
All you can do is try to know who your friends are
As you head off to the war
Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye

Now we're back to the beginning

It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye"

I am so grateful to know that my family is
together forever.
I know that I will get to see my Grandpa
again.
I know that he looks after me.
I have felt his love for me one countless occasions
as I journey through my life here on Earth.
I miss him everyday.
I miss collecting coins with him.
I miss him teaching us some of the simplest life lessons.
I miss him making grandpas juice.
I miss seeing him work so hard for my Grandma.
I miss his hugs.
I miss him putting my long hair on his bald head pretending
that he had long hair.
I miss him pinching my nose and pretending that
he had it in his hand.
I miss him yelling from inside of
the house for us to stay our of the flowers.
I miss him coming to visit us,
and to support me through the big decisions that I make.

I am sad that he wont see me get married
in the temple,
I am sad that he wont see me serve a mission,
and start college.

But,
I know that he has returned to live
with our Father in Heaven.
I know that he is happy,
and smiles down on me everyday
as I try my best to make him proud.


I will let my memories grow
stronger and Stronger,
because there is no need to say goodbye.

So until we meet again,
I love and miss you Grampa!

Dedicated to 
Ralph Lynn Allred
June 3, 1929 - 9:55pm April 27, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment