Thursday, February 28, 2013

Super Easy T-Shirt Quilt!

A few months ago our laurel class was talking about 
ideas that we would wanna do for our weekly activities,
and one of our ideas was to make t-shirt quilts.
Little did we know at the time,
just how awesome our leaders were.
Before we knew it, 
we were getting all of the materials that we needed to start 
our quilts.
It is so much easier than it looks!

The only materials you need are:
- t-shirts
- low loft quilters batting
- basting spray

-masking tape
and a sewing machine!

So here's how to do it:

1. Cut your tshirts into
12x12 inch sqaures.

2. Arrange them in the order you want them in.
(mine was 6x6 feet)


3. Measure your backing and batting.
(I just ran to target and got a full sized flannel sheet for my backing,
making it easy and avoids having to sew pieces together. 
It was plenty big enough, and nice and warm!)
Leave 2 extra inches of backing on every side of the quilt.

4. Spray the basting spray on the backing in sections and place your batting on smooth.

5. Sew each row (except the middle) together.
The middle has to be sewn directly on the quilt.

To sew each row together, take one square facing up, then the neighboring 
square on top of it but facing down. Tape the two squares together along the edge of the tape.
Take the tape off, and open the two squares. Repeat for each square in the row.

6. One by one, sew the rows directly onto the quilt.

Do the same thing you did when sewing each individual square together,
but do it for the entire row horizontally instead of vertically. Take the tape off.
Spray the basting spray on the batting, and pull your t-shirts flat, avoiding awkward bumps
in your quilt.

7.  Now all the rows should be sewn on horizontally,
so now each column (sewing veritcally between each column).

8. Cut all the excess batting around the edges of the quilt.
But dont cut the excess backing!

9. Fold the backing over evenly twice and sew the whole edging down.  

10. Sew knots every four inches in each square to help keep the batting in place.

Here is my finished quilt!
It covers my queen sized bed!
I love it, I love it, I love it!!

So, when explaining how to make it,
it seems like a lot of work. 
But my entire 6x6 foot quilt took me maybe 8 to 9 hours total.
I'm also not very good at explaining things without being able give you visuals as examples.
I wish I took more pictures..
But I am helping Ashley make one right now, so I will
have to take pictures and put together a video to put up for ya.

This was such a fun project and super easy!
So easy, that I did it all by myself!
Sure, the shirts dont line up perfectly, and the sewing may not be perfectly straight,
but I think thats what gives it character.
Wouldn't you agree??

So overall, I feel really good about it.
Even though cutting up some of my t-shirts was difficult,
this way I can have them forever!

This was an awesome project to do, as im finishing up the last couple months
of school before graduation.

It's a pretty cool thing to see all of the things I have done all smashed onto a quilt.
And to see how putting small and simple things like t-shirts together,
can make great things like a quilt be made!
I am grateful that I have been so blessed to have so many amazing opportunities
the past couple of years and to take so many great memories away from those experiences.


1 comment: